Ohhhhh Mr. Bleary Eyes... Wakey Wakey

This is for those of you who truely appreciate waking up at four a.m. and getting those workouts in. For those of you who find your time at other parts of the day... hey I love you just the same! Finding (more like making) the time to improve your athleticism and endurance can be tough but always rewarding. These are my stories, this is how I live my life. I hope you will enjoy and appreciate them and get an occasional chuckle or two.
Run Strong, Run Often,
-Arylis







Monday, March 22, 2010

Numero Uno (or something like that)

Ok for all you ADRENALINE JUNKIES out there (or soon to be, wanna be, or hope to be's) this is for you!!! I'm not anything particularly special, at least not in the realm of big ticket races or Hollywood whatever, but who knows maybe someday. But I, probably much like you, have a lot of adventures of my own. I hit the trails and join in just about any sport that requires true athleticism and or endurance, however I have not entered a race in over a decade. I train a lot and I intend on training more and more, till the day I die actually.
For the last several years (well more years than I have fingers) I have always wanted to participate in the races where the legends gather. Not that I want to meet them or challenge them but because they are there. Those are the locations and times where the best of the best challenge themselves. That part I have always understood. They are not there to beat anyone in particular, they are there to stand up to their own calls, their own preparations, their own challenges. Who am I to not challenge myself? I have always been my best trail buddy and likewise I have always been my own fierce competitor. No one challenges me more than myself!! NO ONE!!
I want to go to these places where they gather, their very gathering establishes the event like unto Everest. No one climbs Everest to beat their buddy, they do it to beat themselves. And so it is that I have decided that I will continue to train until I too have earned attendance at various endurance feasts. If our paths have not already crossed, your in luck, the odds are going to increase. SMILE.
I have overcome some great physical hiccups in my time (more on that in later posts) and consent to the belief that anyone in general good health can do the most amazing feats! If a one legged man can run across a desert or a blind man Climb the highest mountains then I too can achieve the same. Not that I'm taking away from their accomplishments (they are GREAT!), but I am trying to point out that all one needs to do is submit themselves to the goal and then do the required work to get there. I will get there! I am so close....
Living in Alaska presents some challenges in training but with the right attitude those challenges provide for very rich memories. The weather alone (which I always refer to as spice) can cause the average to go insane or the crazy (me) to do cartwheels! Not to mention the mosquitos, icy rivers, mountains, and yes... even the wildlife, most of which you will not find in Central Park. This is Alaska. This is where I do my training or rather I live my life. This is where my stories will come from.
I hope that you will enjoy my thoughts and ramblings as I share with you my training habits and prepare for joining the ranks of the legends. Even if those legends are limited to Me, Myself, and I.....

No comments:

Post a Comment